Search This Blog

Sunday, March 21, 2010

COACHELLA DAY 3




Here is the last post in my Coachella review. Hopefully you've all enjoyed the last two, and I have to say I'm glad this is the last one not only because it means Coachella is close but because I get to stop writing these crazy long posts and get to start posting again on new music which as been backing up on my computer.  So without any delay here is Day 3. As you'll notice I'm totally over writing these long descriptions so I'm keep it short and sweet. Enjoy.


Any artists I mark with a  means I'll be seeing them for sure so make sure you come by and say hi. I've also tried to include as many collaborative tracks as possible so you can hear the different DJ's and artists playing Coachella covering or remixing each others tracks. All tracks are in one folder so enjoy and pass along to friends and sign up for the email list. 

Additional acts not mentioned here can be found on the official website.  There are also additions going on up until the day of the show. I'll let you know of anyone of note that is added as they show up and I get the time.

More after the jump...






De La Soul - One of the classic all time great hip hop groups.  These guys have been around since 87
 and delivered their first album 3 Feet High and Rising which instantly became a classic. Their set should definatly be worth checking out.

Deerhunter - Indie rock group out of Altanta, Georgia that goes beyond just indie rock and has ambient, punk as well as other elements in their music. This should be one of the better rock groups on the day and I dont think anyone is going to have to play russian roulette.

Delphic - Alternative Electro Dance band out of England. Not sure how the set will be but might be worth checking out.

Florence & The Machine - One of the most buzzed about groups on the lineup, check her out just because she's bound to be huge eventually and it seems that tons of DJ's have been making great remixes of her music. Included is a The XX remix of "You got the Love" which is the cat's meow.

Gil Scott-Heron - Spoken word poet who's beat style influenced hip hop and rap with his cadence. Not sure I'm going to check him out but go for it.

Gorillaz - I don't ned to say much here. You know what's up. If you're still around Sunday night to see them play I recommend it.

Infected Mushroom - Electro Industrial Rock/Dance group from Israel. Their music over isn't really my cup of tea but I went to go see them live and got to meet the band and I have to say I was really really impressed by their live show. They should be really fun live.

Julian Casablancas - Lead singer of The Stroke's solo project. Give him a view if you have the time.

King Khan & The Shrines - Go see them. Seriously. Raw, analog sounding rock that sounds like Iggy & The Stooges meets Rocket from the Crypt. I'm really excited to see them so check them out if you have some time.

Little Boots - Electro pop dance outfit that's in the same vein as La Roux. Not sure how the show would be as her work is a little more poppy than I usually like but it should be fun.

Local Natives - Band that's been getting a lot of buzz lately. Out of Silverlake they've been compared to Arcade Fire and Vampire Weekend at the same time. Their songs have great hooks and afropop rhythms at times. Excited to see this band.

Matt & Kim - Two piece dance punk outfit from Brooklyn. I can't say I love their music, but I have heard nothing but good things about their live shows which are supposed to be high energy and a ton of fun. Could be just the remedy if your drugs are wearing off and you've hit a lull.

Mayer Hawthorne & The County - Mayer Hawthorne is an LA based producer who started doing his own work with heavy Mo Town, Soul and R&B influences. I really like his album A Strange Arrangement and think he could be really fun to see live with a full backing band. Definitely check him out.

Miike Snow - Can't wait to see this group. Out of Sweden their album is full of great tracks with awesome songwriting. Included my two favorite tracks off the album but if you don't have this one, go out and buy it. It's worth every penny.

Phoenix - Again I don't really need to tell you anything about them. I've seen them live a few times and they put on a great live show so go check it out.

Sly & The Family Stone - Started in the late 60s in San Francisco, Sly & The Family Stone was hugely influential in funk, rock, soul and psychedelic music. Check them out

Spoon - Go see them live. Don't fuck this up.

Glitch Mob - As the name implies, electro dance music on the glitch side of the genre. If you don't know what I mean listen to them and you'll get it.

The Middle East - Australian group that I don't know much about except for their song Blood, which has an equally amazing video.  Really excited to check them out and see what they are like live.

The Soft Pack - San Diego based group that used to go by The Muslims.  I'm super stoked to see them live as they have one of the better albums of the last year I've heard and from what I know their live shows are pretty impressive. Go check them out and you won't be disappointed.

Yann Tiersen - This is my dark horse bet to be probably the coolest set of the weekend. For those that aren't aware of his work, Yann Tiersen is a French film composer that did the music for Amelie as well as other movies. He routinely plays to huge festival crowds overseas with a full band doing instrumental orchestral type music with a really distinctive French influence.  Check out these tracks to get a feel for it.

Coachella Day 3

Suck it 'tards.

1 comment:

  1. Have you heard of a guy named Thom Yorke - I hear he is OK too.

    ReplyDelete