Search This Blog

Sunday, March 7, 2010

COACHELLA DAY 2




Second Day of Coachella. In years past Saturday was normally the day with the biggest names, but with only three day passes being sold the lineup seems a little more evenly spread out this year with no one day standing out as having all the big names. Saturday does have a lot of great bands and DJ's playing so check out below what you're in store for.


Any artists I mark with a  means I'll be seeing them for sure so make sure you come by and say hi. I've also tried to include as many collaborative tracks as possible so you can hear the different DJ's and artists playing Coachella covering or remixing each others tracks. All tracks are in one folder so enjoy and pass along to friends and sign up for the email list. 

Additional acts not mentioned here can be found on the official website.  There are also additions going on up until the day of the show. I'll let you know of anyone of note that is added as they show up and I get the time.

More after the jump...






2ManyDJ's - One of the groups I am most excited to see.  Also known as Soulwax, they have produced one skull crushing remix after another and play electro shows with a live band. I put up a whole DJ (this is minus the band though) set so you could get a feel for the type of show they put on. I promise this is one you wont want to miss and if you do, well the fuck you. Check out the video teaser for "Part of The Weekend Never Dies" (their documentary DVD) here.
Bonus: Video for "E Talking" study this and use it a field guide to discover what drug everyone is on, sort of like bird watching but with more long term side effect.

Band of Skulls - Think Black Rebel Motor Cycle Club meets Yeah Yeah Yeah's.  One of my favorite rock bands to blow up in the last year. At times they sound a bit too much like an amalgamation of other bands but from their songs it seems like they would put on a good show.

Bassnectar - Take away the B and they would have a really fucked up name. Not sure what their live show would be like but I'm going to check it out for a bit. Hopefully Ill be so drunk by then it wont really matter if it sucks. Better living through chemistry.

Coheed and Cambria - I know just yesterday you were siting around, watching Tron and listening to Metallica's "Ride the Lightening" and thinking, "Why hasn't someone put together sci-fi and metal influenced rock yet, it goes together like peanut butter and jelly." Well this is the band.  Their singer looks like an extra from Where the Wild Things Are and has a crazy falsetto voice.  Not for everyone but I do promise they put on a crazy fucking show.  I saw them live a couple years back and was really impressed with their energy and stage presence. Highly recommended if you want to see a really energetic set sans a DJ.

David Guetta - Don't really think I need to do much talking about him as I am sure pretty much everyone knows his work. One of the biggest DJ names out there, he's known for having some huge party/club hits, namely "I Gotta Feeling,"a track that made me want to take a fist full of xanax and wash it down with drain cleaner after hearing it for the 1,000,000 time. It was like a nine dicked grizzly bear was raping my brain everytime it was on. He also has really impressively coifed hair. To be honest having seen him before I'm more interested to see how his hair will hold up to that desert heat then watch his set but he is fun.

DEVO - I just about shit my pants when I heard they were going to be playing.  Devo's music has influenced hundreds of bands and a lot of what they did with keyboards and synth music influenced today's electro and indie scene.  Their singer, Mark Mothersbaugh has done most of the soundtrack work for Wes Anderson and they wear matching jumpsuits and "energy dome" hats.  Go or die.

Dirty Projectors - Artsy and explorative rock that has been getting a ton of buzz over the last year and deservedly so. I'm not sure how their set will pan out at something as large as Coachella but regardless they should be a great band to see live.

Dirty South - No this DJ didn't give himself the same name as what you call your bathing suit area. What it is though is big sound house music in the vein of David Guetta thats fun and always a good time. One of the tracks included is his remix of a Kaskade who is also playing Saturday.

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zero's - Not sure I'll go watch them but I like this track from them and wanted to share it. That's all.

Flying Lotus - Glitchy, ambient instrumental (for the most part) electro music.  Not really stuff to dance to but I'm sure its the tits if your tripping balls or something of the sort. So I guess what I'm saying is go to this show, find the white dude with dreads and no shoes dancing, ask him for whatever he's on and just take it and lay face down in the grass at this set. It sounds crazy but no one listened to Galileo and time has proven him to be a genius. Just sayin.

Frightened Rabbit - Indie rock band out of Scotland.  A little more on the mellow side but they have a great sound and I would expect them to get a lot bigger this year as they have really evolved since their last album sound wise and have been getting a lot more press.

Gossip - Beth Ditto, the lead singer, is a giant lesbian, both in size and the amount of vagina she consumes. While I have never seen one of their shows I have heard that they are crazy and super high energy and fun. She goes off on stage really gets the crowd into in sort of in the same vein as Karen O from Yeah Yeah Yeah's.  The included track is a Soulwax remix and I'll be checking them out for sure if only to let my inner husky lesbian breathe.

Hot Chip - Both your mother and I are tired of your "me me me" attitude. Grow up and stop being an asshole. Just go see them. Seriously, do you want to make your mother cry?

Kaskade - Again, much like Guetta and Dirty South, you've got your big sound club ready house music. I've seen his live show and its pretty great. I was totally loving it and got in a solid 30 minutes before my friend decided he wanted to dry rape my happiness and made me leave to go to some house in the hills to watch Franky Delgado make a Turkey sandwhich. The house was rad but I just stood there on a deck staring out at the city knowing that a little piece of mw died that night, sort of like when I found out that the Easter Bunny killed Santa Claus. Thanks again Blake, BF4L!

Major Lazer - Diplo and Switch, two producers,  and a dance hall hype guy who goes by Skerrit Bwoy (pronounced like Tom Skerrit, yea I'm sure you got that reference) come out and pretty much destroy everyone with insane hyped up dance hall. If you haven't seen the video for "Pon De Floor" (Skerrit Bwoy is the first guy you see) be prepared to loose your shit. It's the most rediculous thing I've ever seen and that includes that time where I saw a bum taking a shit squatting in the cross walk reading a paper during rush hour traffic (yes, I actually saw that.)

MGMT & Muse - Putting them together just because I don't really need to tell you anything about either.  No tracks from them for same reason but should be good shows by both.

Old Crow Medicine Show - This should be a really fun group to watch and a good cool down band.  Old time string band is the best way to describe them and their songs fun really well done. Check them out.

Portugal. The Man - No tracks but a great band and I'll be wandering over to check them out for a little bit and suggest you do the same.

The Dead Weather - Jack White and Alison Mosshart of The Kills make up two parts of The Dead Weather who, essentially, sound just like you would assume a band would sound that was half The Kills and half White Stripes.  Heavy guitar and Mosshart's distinctive vocals give make them worth checking out.

The XX - Band thats made a lot of waves over the last year and the S/T album made pretty much everyones top 10 albums of the year list in 09.  Their song "Intro" was used often in the Olympics. They are a super young band (I'm pretty sure no one in the band is much over 21 or 22) so expect to keep hearing big things from them in the future. Definitely take some time to check them out.

Tiesto - Another big name house/electro producer on the lineup who is worth checking out. Internationally he's huge and lately he has been getting a lot bigger in the states, even doing work with Three Six Mafia which is a random but cool collaboration.

Tokyo Police Club - you'll never be a part of the club so do the next best thing and watch them perform. I've seen them before and they were really impressive live so I highly recommend seeing them if you can.

White Rabbits - I'm really hoping that the irony of White Rabbits playing at a festival where about 100,000 people are trying to find the end of the rabbit hole isn't lost on anyone. Really can't say I know a ton about the band but their track "Percussion Gun" was big last year so I threw it in.

Z-Trip - Z-Trip took up residency at The Palms replacing DJ AM after he died.  The Mix I put in by him gives you a really good sample of what his sets are like. He's worked with a ton of artists and produced just as many tracks so expect this set to be one of the better ones. Look here for his official website downloads page with lots of free mixes etc.

Hope you enjoy.  Day 3 will be up shortly along with a couple other posts in between.

Coachella Day 2

No comments:

Post a Comment